Saturday, January 21, 2012

Sleep Deprivation

Who is blessed by sleep deprivation?
Me!

Am I sleep deprived in the hospital?
sometimes, but not quite as much as I am now

Why am I sleep deprived?
Owen is on antibiotics that need to be given every six hours. 12am, 6am, 12pm, and 6pm. Not only do I have to be up at all of those times, but an hour after each of those times to unhook him from the antibiotic. On top of that, during the 12am dose and the 6am dose I have to stop his lipids (because they are not compatible with the antibiotic), flush the line to make sure the lipids are clear from the line, hook up the antibiotic and start it. Then when the antibiotic is done, I have to flush again and hook the lipids back up. This might not sound like much but keep in mind, I am a tired mommy going into a room with 2 sleeping babies. I have to make sure my hands are clean and that I keep the line clean while trying to keep Owen from waking up. I also have to make sure the lines don't get tangled because he could roll over or something and create an even bigger mess. On top of all the medical confusion, I also have a 1 year old that has missed me and wakes up every couple hours just to make sure I will come in the room to help him back to sleep.
This all creates a sleep deprived mommy

So why am I blessed?
I am blessed because we are home, all of us. It might sound little to many people. Those people have never been in a hospital room with their little one. Being home, even with all these extra tasks for me to do, is the best thing in the entire world. I am able to watch Owen walk around, play, laugh, and bring joy to our whole family. I get to be here with Isaiah as he grows and learns each day (way too fast I might add). I soak in every moment with them. even the crazy, busy, want-to-pull-your-hair-out-moments, because you never know what could happen tomorrow. We have learned that, at any moment, our world could be turned upside down. Owen's life constantly reminds me of how blessed we are with just one more day, one more minute.
I am not saying we don't struggle. Do we get frustrated? Yes! Do we sometimes think we are never going to move forward in our lives? Yes! But, again, Owen always reminds us to take a step back and be thankful for all we are blessed with.

Our Blessings





1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are home and you are totally right - enjoy each and every second of it! I do hope, that you start getting a bit more sleep, though :)

    ReplyDelete