Monday, October 3, 2011

Cascade College

I have to say, I have been dreading this post.
However, it was a part of our vacation and I need to share it.
Cascade College has a huge part of my heart.
This wonderful place was closed in May of 2009.
I can't even begin to express the wonderfulness that is Cascade. It was more than a College - it was a home, a family. Many of the professors lived in houses located on campus. Because there was a small number of students, the students and staff really got to know eachother. Many professors went to churches in the area where students would also go. The professors cared, truly cared. Many of them were there when Cascade started and they help keep it alive.
To me, Cascade was a place of friendship, growing, learning, and spiritual healing.
I only wish my children could experience what I got to in college. I met some amazing people who will forever be in my heart. I met people who I consider to be family and I cherrish them.

I want to list some of the things I will miss - you may not know what I'm talking about but I just have to list :)
- 3rd floor girls
- Christmas time
- Walking down sanders hall and hearing the laughter and chatter
- Phi Alpha Sigma - my sisters who got me through so much
- initiations
- monday night devo
- why not wednesdays
- taco tuesdays
- chapel
- choir tour
- Ed Major Thursday
- Ed Major reputation lol - we always had the best classes!
- the red house
- tea pots!!!
- hair brush song!
- reach me those quarters!
- your Kat is Bush hehe
- carpet dust
- Powel's Books
- getting lost downtown
-Waterfront
- The Max
- Time in Fine Arts! - great times :)
- Grey's Night
- George wars!
-Phi Alpha/Tri Phi softball games, caroling
- elk falls, rock slides, in devils lake
- the playground
- puddle jumping
- the list could go on and on . . .



Our family on Cascade's campus


Our visit to Cascade was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. It was just sad. All the memories, all the traditions are no more. I knew that already but for some reason, seeing the death after the death was heart wrenching. No more students, no more dorm rooms, no more teachers all in one place. It was a harsh reality. I was so overwhelmed dealing with my emotions that I forgot to take pictures. I wish I would have thought to take more pictures of the kids on the campus. The campus looks much the same - its a little creepy. Some of the grass is dead but most the signs and even furniture were still there. Little changes like mailboxes being removed, kitchens put in each dorm, and the library renovated were done but on the outside it mostly looked the same. I cry as I type this because it is still so fresh in my mind, the life that was Cascade. This piece of land I used to call home is now a sad reminder that nobody else will get to experience that wonderful place that truly changed my life in so many ways.
I am thankful for you Cascade and you will forever be in my heart.

Saying Goodbye
http://www.christianchronicle.org/article2158791~Saying_goodbye_to_Cascade_College
Blog written by a student
http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=2037161


History of Cascade written by a Professor
http://www.oc.edu/cascade/documents/historycascade.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment